Find Your Happy Place

Yosemite, top of Nevada Falls

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.” 
― John MuirThe Mountains of California


A couple weeks ago I went to Yosemite.  It was the first time I'd been there since 1999.  A long over due trip.  It was inspiring, awesome, majestic, poetic, breath-taking, jaw-dropping.  The day I got back I booked a reservation for my next trip there.

Nevada Falls

I got my Yosemite fix, but I need to return, soon.  The mountains are my spiritual place.  For some, it's the ocean, for me, it's the mountains.  I moved to the Tahoe area to be in the mountains.  I have a beautiful view of the mountains from my home.  I'm lucky.  But there is something really wonderful about being IN the mountains and not just looking at them.  Experiencing them.  Being present IN nature.

Half Dome from The Tunnel View

While I was hiking a gentleman stopped me and said, every time I pass you, you have the biggest smile on your face.  It was true!  I was grinning like an idiot all along the trail.  I was in my happy place.

Vernal Falls

In our yoga practice we continually try to find a place of peace and presence.  Nature also helps us cultivate inner peace and helps us live in and appreciate the moment. 

And, yoga physically aids us when we are on the hiking trails.  Our practice gives us strength, focus, agility, flexibility, stamina, patience, balance ... and a killer attitude!


“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.” ― John MuirOur National Parks


Here's to your happy place! May it be found in nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment