Cleansing and the Whole Body Transformation


The book that inspired the cleanse

Amie Valpone and I at the 1440 Multiversity demonstration kitchen

Two years ago I went on a 21-day cleanse inspired by Amie Valpone's book, 



I wrote a blog post about it called Consider a Cleanse.
The cleanse eliminates:

Caffeine (even decaf coffee)
Alcohol
Added sugar
Gluten
Soy
Dairy
Citrus (except lemons)
Night Shade Vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant)
Preservatives
Pre-packaged foods
Eggs
Meat

I made it almost to Day 21 this time and overall it was easier the second time than the first because I was already eating pretty clean.  

The main thing I struggled with this time was withdrawal from caffeine.  I thought I was only drinking 1-2 cups of coffee/day before the cleanse, but I must have been drinking more because I went through awful withdrawal symptoms. My advice to anyone trying to stop caffeine is to taper instead of going cold turkey.  Taper with fewer cups per day, then to black tea, then green tea, then to herbal caffeine-free tea. You and anyone living with you will be grateful you tapered instead of going cold turkey.

While on the cleanse this year, I noticed the author of the book, Amie Valpone, was giving a workshop at 1440 Multiversity. (I love that venue near Santa Cruz, CA.) I decided to attend, thinking I'd learn a whole lot more about food and cleansing, and get to meet my favorite cookbook author. Double Yay!!

My friend Tracy and I at 1440 Multiversity

The workshop, called Whole Body Transformationwent deeper than just talking about food and cleansing. Amie will be writing a book in the future on this topic and the workshop was a sneak peek at her upcoming book.  

In the workshop, Amie led us through an exercise of how our past trapped emotions are still affecting our health today.  When I go back and review this, these are the recurring feelings that came up for me: fear, shame, anger, embarrassment, insecurity, hurt, anxiety, regret, worry.  Most often these emotions were felt in my gut and sometimes my upper back.

Amie taught us a rewiring technique to use when we get triggered in our daily lives.  It involves listening to deep theta music and going through a sensory exercise that helps to eliminate the feelings that arise from the trigger.  I'm confident her next book will explain this in-depth.

One of the main takeaways from the workshop was - you can fix your food issues by eating and drinking differently, but you may still feel stuck or sick, and your body may still feel unwell.  If that's the case, it's time to go deeper into your past and start doing the work to ease the traumas that have built up in your life and have been held in your body in various forms causing pain and unease. It's time to rewire those neural pathways that have been causing you so much pain.

I've been doing this type of work pretty regularly since my divorce.  The work is different for everyone, but for me, these are the tools that continue to help me:

yoga
meditation
reiki
sound healing 
self-help books
self-help workshops
self-help podcasts
music
watercolor painting
collage 
photography
journaling
blogging
therapy
talking to friends and family
eating and drinking well
regular exercise
allowing only healthy relationships
gardening
being in nature
traveling
being spontaneous
meeting new friends
revisiting inspirational quotes

Here are some current favorites:

It didn't happen TO you, it happened FOR you.

Hurt people hurt people.

What is the story you are telling yourself?

Beliefs are not true.

Get out of your own way.

You can't control others, but you can control your reaction to others.

When faced with something ask yourself, Is this a Tonic or a Toxin?

If you want ease, align yourself with ease.

1 comment:

  1. You guys look like you had so much fun during cleansing. I envy you lol.

    https://aab-edu.net/

    ReplyDelete